Friday 19 October 2018

Tarmac Reacquaintance

I was really enjoying yesterday's ride. All of the hard training for the week had been done, so Ryan and I were just taking it easy, spinning out to Ivan's for a coffee. I was only two miles from home, descending to Colliton Cross when I came to grief. There was a van parked on the edge of the road, so as I have done countless times, I checked behind and moved in to the middle of the road to pass the van, leaving a gap of around one metre.

The next thing I knew there was a massive impact and I went flying, landing in the road. The driver had opened his door at the exact moment I was passing, this happens more often in cities and is commonly known as 'dooring a cyclist'. Fortunately the driver was a genuine guy, apologising straight away and calling an ambulance. The worst thing that can happen in this situation is a 'hit and run' incident. Initially I feared the worst, I had managed to crawl to the side of the road, but this was my first crash that I didn't get up from.

Within a few minutes a trained first aider had stopped, soon followed by a doctor and even a man who works for mountain rescue. They did a great job of looking after me until the ambulance came, which took forty five minutes. After my assessment from the paramedics, I went to hospital for an X-ray, praying that nothing was broken. Most of the force had been taking by my left thigh, but I was told by the paramedics that the femur is a very hard bone to break! I was more concerned about my forearm, but I was incredibly relieved when the X-ray came back all clear. I guess I have my genetics (and eating petit filous yoghurts) to thank.

I am hoping to be back on the bike for the National Hill Climb in 10 days, but the truth is I have no idea how long the recovery is going to take. If there's a message to be taken away here, it is please double check your mirrors and blind spot before opening a door into open traffic. It really could save a life. Interestingly, in the Netherlands, drivers are taught to open their door with their opposite arm, so they automatically look over their shoulder. I shall try and get in to this habit in the future.

Now for the other sad part. I may have survived, but the bike didn't. The top tube has snapped and there is a crack in the fork. If anyone out there has a bike I could possibly borrow for the National Hill Climb, please let me know. I'll keep you updated and hopefully there will be a blog from the National. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment