Sunday 7 October 2018

Peak Hill Climb

For the fourth time in as many years, I found myself sitting in the familiar, slightly dingy setting of Jack's Bar in Sidmouth, which always feels somewhat strange at 9 a.m. The Peak Hill Climb is one of the most memorable events of the cycling calendar for me, mainly because it's the steepest climb I race up all year. It's the sort of climb where you feel like your head is going to explode, or for the data nerds out there - eight watts per kilogram in a 36x28 gear will leave you grinding. The sign at the bottom says twenty percent, but this is clearly an inaccurate approximation. Send the bloke from Highways England up there on a bicycle, then ask him how steep it is.

The climb starts steadily and then gets gradually steeper before easing off in the final two hundred metres. The nature of the climb meant that I threw caution to the wind, going hard from the gun, hoping to carry my momentum half way up the climb, which worked and I held on until the finish clocking five minutes and nine seconds. I had hoped to dip under five minutes, but this was a tall order as only one man has done this in the history of the event. James Dobbin's ride, back in 2006 earned him the British hill climb title. Upon return to HQ I caught up with fellow riders, chatting about how 'that steep section by the house is bloody horrible' etc. When the results came through I was happy to see my name at the top of the list, along with my mates Ryan and Jack taking second and fourth respectively.

Ryan and I blew part of the prize money at a cafe on the way home, but didn't get through the magnum of Champagne, which will be kept until this evening at least. Thanks to Ron from Sid Valley for organising the event, all of the marshals, Team PB Performance and my family for coming out to support.

No comments:

Post a Comment